|Our newly-written Sifrei Torah (Torah Scrolls) are written on authentic gewil parchment from skins that were processed precisely according to Talmud, Geonim and Rambam. They are written by a brilliant, expert and humble Torah scholar and rabbi, HaRav Yoseph Maghori-Kohen in the writing styles of Yemen and `Edoth haMizraH (Sefaradi-Eastern communities). Beyond the scroll itself, the writing, and a custom-designed case, we offer much more… (scroll down for more information)
Price: $35,000 – $40,000
To order a Torah Scroll, please contact us for a quote.
Regarding the gewil-parchment for our mezuzoth: There are only three tanners in the world we are aware of who are both expert in the ancient Yemenite tradition of tanning, are punctilious in all the details of the process according to Rambam, and produce commercially (that we are aware of). We only work with the elder, most renowned, expert Yemenite tanner, scribe and Torah scholar, Rav Moshe Sarum. His work and expertise is unmatched. For Torah scrolls in particular, gewil is recognized by all halakhic opinions as the ideal scroll material. (To read more about gewil as ‘halakhah from Moshe at Sinai’, see the excellent information provided by Machon Gewil, who support our work, at http://www.globaljms.co.il/.)
Regarding the sofruth (the writing): While there are very few scribes who write on properly tanned skins, not all are free of corrupt mystical beliefs. This is a particularly sensitive issue in our work, since it is a halakhic (legal) requirement that scribal materials be written by scribes who do not harbor heretical beliefs. Being that these products are used to fulfill Torah requirements, not only rabbinical, we are very strict in this regard. Our scribes are learned men with pure and wholesome beliefs in HaShem that are completely based on the teachings of RaMBaM and ancient Talmudic literature, unaffected by corrupt mystical beliefs that have trickled into the Orthodox mainstream.
Point by point, here is what we offer:
- Expert, beautiful writing in a brand-new scroll by an elder scribe with over 40 years of experience, who is a brilliant yet humble Torah scholar and rabbi.
- Authentic ‘qelaph me’ubadh lishmah’: the skins are processed with all three stages of tanning (meliHah [pickling in salt], qemiHah [soaking in barley grain solution], and mei `afSah [soaking in tannic acid]) with proper intention by the above-mentioned world-class craftsman and scholar.
- An Aron (Torah case) that is custom-designed according to your taste.
- Standard Torah scroll ornaments
- A security CD, containing photographs of your entire scroll.
We can also provide the following:
- Traditional Yemenite indentation, marking certain vowels, punctuation marks, and `aliyoth.
- Museum-quality protective lamination. A properly protected scroll can literally last over 2,000 years. This is especially recommended for scrolls that will be regularly used in public worship.
- Handmade Yemenite ornaments of pure silver crafted by an expert Yemenite silversmith.